Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Addiction

O.k., let's go ahead and get this out of the way - Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a coffee addict. Many of you know I have been trying to give up the java for quite some time with no success. Why is this such a big deal? Well, I don't react to caffeine the way most people do. It makes me irritable, short-tempered, impatient, my stomach aches, and it makes me hungry all day. The last part is of vital importance related to my fitenss goals.



I will easily take in 1000-1500 more calories a day with just 2 cups of coffee in the morning. Why is this so? I have no freaking idea. Most folks appetite is suppressed; mine is increased. Despite the way it makes me feel I keep coming back to it. I like it in the morning, afternoon, evenings, after work, anytime. I like it when I'm sad, when I'm happy, when I'm angry. The bean just makes me feel better. But only for a short time; then it just wreaks havoc.



My addiction wrecks my efforts. I can diet like the best of em and exercise to no end. But when I drink coffee, my diet is shot and my workouts suck because it also makes me weak.



I declared recently, again, to stop drinking the juice. I made it one day. I had two cups this am. We got in from our flight last nite at 1 am and my parents were in town. I love sitting around drinking coffee with the fam. Another trigger that's hard for me to ignore.



I'm gonna try to quit again and I will post my successes and failures. I will also start putting my caloric intake daily and you'll be able to see the difference on the juice and off.



If anyone out there struggles with some kind of food addiction like mine, a great book to read is "The End of Overeating" by David Kessler. Check it out. It's an amazing book and has really opened my eyes to the way Americans are under attack by food industry and why we are overeating. It also has a great section on beating food addictions. It's giving me some of the tools I may need to beat Lady Java Bean.

No comments: